Saturday, May 7, 2011

Two Oceans:Week #37

The biggest problem with procrastinating is that I forget things easily.  Like, I’m not sure which wine I ingested last week.  Luckily, I did take a picture, so that should jog my memory.  But, I didn’t write down the label notes.  I went down to the basement to search through the empties, and while I can find bottles from months ago, I can’t find last week’s.  And, every time I think I’ve found a bottle, it turns out to be a HH beer bottle.  When I signed up for this project, I didn’t really envision myself picking through my own garbage.  Contrary to popular belief, blogging is anything but glamorous. 

Last week I picked up a bottle of Two Oceans Shiraz and brought it to a friend’s house for a quiet girl’s evening after a busy day of fundraising for the bigger kid’s preschool.  It also turned out to be a sneak-craft-attack and I had to sit idly by while my friends “altered” a canvas - whatever that means! But, I had wine and a Cadbury Crème egg, so I was happy. 

Two Oceans - South Africa, 2009
13.5% alc./vol.
$11.99
A word from the wine:
"The warm Indian Ocean and the cold Atlantic Ocean converge and create coll breezes that slow the ripening of the grapes and intensify the pure fruit flavors of our wine"
Now, I find this to be an interesting theory.  I like the whole "oceans converging" idea.  But, I'm not sure on intensifying the fruit flavors as those as my least favorite of the flavor families.

This wine was definitely lacking body and smoothness.  The taste was bland, tolerable, but I did find the after-taste to bit quite jarring.  It wasn’t awful – I finished my glass, but it definitely left something to be desired.  I don’t think I’ve been wooed by many wines of South African descent.  

Guest Tester #1: It smells like a permanent marker.
Guest Tester #2: It tastes like burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment