Sunday, April 24, 2011

Jacob's Creek Rose: Week #36

Welcome to the special Easter Sunday edition of Saturday Shiraz.  I bought a bottle yesterday - even entrusted the Helpful Husband to venture out solo to the liquor store.  Thankfully I am at a point in this journey where I pretty well know the names of all the "un-blogged" bottles of Shiraz remaining at our local liquor store, so I can send him out with a particular brand and be somewhat assured that he will return with it. 

But, alas, once I arrived at my parents' house for Easter dinner, I noticed I had "conveniently" forgot the bottle of Shiraz at home.  Luckily, my dad had this strange and awkward bottle of Shiraz Rose laying around and we decided it was probably a good match for the turkey (and the label notes agreed!). 

Jacob's Creek Shiraz Rose - Australia 2007
13% alc./vol.
(Free to me)
A word from the wine
"This Shiraz Rose style is lighter in weight and boasts lots of fresh berry aromas and spicy flavors. At our place we enjoy it chilled with pasta, seafood and poultry, and while relaxing with friends."
Hmmm... chilled, eh?  I don't think I like where this is headed.

I thought this wine was an okay pairing for our turkey dinner.  But, it was still too close to white wine for me.  I found it to be quite fizzy, bordering on carbonated, almost like drinking a spritzer.  However, it wasn't sweet, which made less tolerable when viewed as a carbonated beverage, but more tolerable when seen as a wine. 

Helpful Husband: "Does it have alcohol?  I like it"
Dad: "It goes well with the turkey, but I don't think it is a real Rose"
Brother: "It's okay, but a bit acidic for my tastes"
Mom: "It's not as sweet as you would expect from a Rose"

No comments:

Post a Comment